Compact with Texans
The Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) is charged by the Texas Legislature to:
Create and expedite innovation in the area of cancer research, thereby enhancing the potential for a medical or scientific breakthrough in the prevention of cancer and cures for cancer;
Attract, create, or expand research capabilities of public or private institutions of higher education and other public or private entities that will promote a substantial increase in cancer research and in the creation of high-quality new jobs in this State; and
- Continue to develop and implement the Texas Cancer Plan by promoting the development and coordination of effective and efficient statewide public and private policies, programs, and services related to cancer and by encouraging cooperative, comprehensive, and complementary planning among the public, private, and volunteer sectors involved in cancer prevention, detection, treatment, and research.
Under the guidance of its governing body, the Oversight Committee, CPRIT accepts applications and awards grants for a wide variety of cancer-related research and for the delivery of cancer prevention programs and services by public and private entities located in Texas. All CPRIT-funded research will be conducted in state by Texas-based scientists and reflect CPRIT’s mission to attract and expand the state’s research capabilities and create high quality new jobs in Texas.
CPRIT’s objective is to position Texas as a world-class leader in research and prevention through collaboration with a variety of entities, including public and private institutions of higher education, academic health institutions, universities, governmental organizations, nongovernmental organizations, public and private companies and others involved in the fight against cancer.
CPRIT supports innovation in the selection of research projects emphasizing immediate or long-term medical breakthroughs; commercialization opportunities for research, and prevention services and health education for citizens with culturally appropriate information about ways in which their risks of developing and dying from cancer can be reduced.
- To maintain the highest integrity and dedication to the mission of finding a cure for cancer through funding cancer research and prevention grants and services in the state in order to save lives and prevent cancer.
- To expedite innovation and commercialization in the area of cancer research throughout the state.
- To conduct all agency activities in a official, transparent, ethical, professional, courteous, efficient, and timely manner;
- To maximize efficiency of the agency’s electronic grant application receipt system;
- To rely upon a peer review process to select the best science and prevention grant applications;
- To provide an Internet site that gives all Texans access to current and historical information about CPRIT activities at www.cprit.state.tx.us;
- To provide accurate, reliable, and timely access to information to the public such as news, publications, pamphlets, presentations, and press releases;
- To recruit and retain a qualified, reliable, and conscientious workforce.
Customer Service Standards
- Agency information will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via the website.
- Telephone messages will be returned within 24 hours.
- Complaint letters will receive responses within 10 working days.
CPRIT is dedicated to providing accurate, reliable and timely services to all Texans. We will act in accordance with the highest standards of ethics, efficiency, and accountability.